John has led around twenty specialist tours to Bulgaria for a variety of tour operators, NADFAS groups and private parties.
He is leading a tour for Ciceroni Travel from 2 to 9 September 2019 and tours for Cox and Kings from 11 to 19 May 2019.
Details and bookings for Ciceroni Travel on 01869 811167: e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org and for Cox and Kings on 020 7873 5013: e-mail: coxandkings.co.uk; coxandkings.co.uk/ra
Typical itineraries include:
- Sofia's city centre, with buildings from the late Roman period to the modern era
- the National Historical Museum and mediaeval church at Boyana
- the orthodox monasteries at Rila, Bachkovo and Troyan
- Plovdiv's city centre, with cobbled streets, merchants' houses and Roman theatre
- the Thracian tomb at Kazanluk
- the mediaeval capital, Veliko Turnovo
- the conservation villages of Koprivshtitsa and Arbanassi
- a wine tasting and an evening of folk music and dancing
- 'Thank you for an outstanding trip to Bulgaria. The holiday far exceeded expectations.'
- 'We thoroughly understand how you have developed such an affection for the country and the people.'
- 'The history and the culture stood out, thanks to the focus you provided. I admire your presentation of past times and present effects, and your sympathetic understanding of Bulgarian society.'
- 'Memories crowd in - the people, the Thracian treasures, the mountains, the salads, those gorgeous domestic interiors, the monasteries, the wine tasting - and the underlying, turbulent history.'
- 'My head is full of images of mountains and monasteries, bullet-spattered church doors, heroes, icons, gold drinking horns, exquisite merchants' homes, wild raspberries, stunning mountain passes and sunlight glittering through beech trees.'
Tours for The Travellers' Club
Information and Booking:
- Tours are run under the aegis of Richard Hunt, The Travellers' Club, Halnaker Park Cottage, Chichester, W Sussex PO18 0QH Tel 01243 773597.
- Full details, including the price, are available on thetravellersclub.com or via e-mail: travellersclub
- Detailed arrangements and bookings are handled by David Nash at Prestige Holidays, 1 Fridays Court, High Street, Ringwood, Hants BH 24 1JA. Tel 01425 480600
For more information: