John and his wife, Karen, lived and worked in Turkey for some time and have returned regularly in recent years with specialist tours for The Travellers' Club, NADFAS groups and private parties.
Tours generally include substantial time in Istanbul, with visits to:
- Aghia Sophia and Topkapi Palace
- the Church of St Saviour in Chora, the Kariye Cami
- the Suleymaniye and Sultan Ahmet Mosques
- the bazaars
- the Bosphorus, by boat
Itineraries have also included from time to time:
- The rock churches of Cappadocia
- Antalya, Aspendos, Perge and sites on the southern shore
- Ephesus, Pergamum and sites on the Aegean coast
- Troy and Gallipoli
- Edirne and Bursa, the first Ottoman capitals
These tours are run under the aegis of Richard Hunt, The Travellers' Club, Halnaker Park Cottage, Chichester, W Sussex PO18 0QH Tel 01243 773597.
- Full details, including the itinerary and the price, are available on thetravellersclub.com or via e-mail: travellersclub
- Detailed arrangements and bookings are handled by David Nash at Prestige Holidays, 1 Fridays Court, High Street, Ringwood, Hants BH 24 1JA. Tel 01425 480600
- 'Thank you for a wonderful Turkish tour and for looking after us so well.'
- 'We thank you for your expertise and friendship, which made our visit to Istanbul and the Aegean coast so memorable.'
- 'We found our days with you and Karen thrilling, enlightening and entertaining. We have ample visual memories of thrilling landscapes and ancient sites to stimulate us for a good while yet.'